[IQUG] The database property on “string_rtruncation” at IQ version 16.1

Steve Shen sshen at sscinc.com
Tue Mar 12 11:58:53 MST 2019

My developers told me today that they ran into an issue: The character data input that was wider than the data type varchar column was working at version 16.0 with data truncated at the table loading time; but it’s throwing an error after I upgraded the IQ to version IQ/16.1.030.1162/11301/P/sp03.02/Linux/Linux64 - x86_64.

I got an incident below; but it’s on IQ version 16.0.
https://apps.support.sap.com/sap/support/knowledge/preview/en/2366408

Was this still a problem at version 16.1?

The following was documented at https://help.sap.com/doc/a89b3a2984f210158cd1a1d90160c895/16.1.1.0/en-US/SAP_IQ_Administration_Database.pdf

“

If a default value is too long for a CHARACTER type column, SAP IQ either truncates the string or generates an exception, depending on the setting of the STRING_RTRUNCATION database option.

“

I am suspecting that the default value on “'string_rtruncation” might be changed at IQ version 16.1; but I could not prove this.

After exploring this issue, I am raising three questions:

1.       Why couldn’t I get the correct value while using “SELECT DB_PROPERTY (‘string_rtruncation')” at version 16.0 and 16.1?

2.       The default value on ‘string_rtruncation’ at IQ versions SAP IQ/16.0 was set to “Off” based on sysoptions system table.

3.       I could no longer see the database property on “string_rtruncation” at IQ version 16.1 based on sysoptions.  So what is the default value on “string_rtruncation” at version SAP IQ/16.1.

I got the following from IQ version 16.0 and 16.1.  I expected getting “Off” at version 16.0; but I got “NULL”.  Was it normal?

1> SELECT DB_PROPERTY ('string_rtruncation')
2> go
DB_PROPERTY('string_rtruncation')

NULL

(1 row affected)

Thank you.

Regards,
Steve Shen
This email with all information contained herein or attached hereto may contain confidential and/or privileged information intended for the addressee(s) only. If you have received this email in error, please contact the sender and immediately delete this email in its entirety and any attachments thereto.