[IQUG] How do UNIX SAs set the Linux Kernel Parameters on Red Hat version 7.4?

Steve Shen sshen at sscinc.com
Wed Jul 25 09:41:22 MST 2018

Today's Topics:

1.      How do Unix SAs set the Kernel Parameters on Red Hat version 7.4?

2.      Is the whole section listed under "2 Preparing for Installation" applicable to Red Hat 7.4 too?
Hi all,
One of my UNIX SA managers was asking me the questions listed under today's topics.
The Linux version for the IQ machines are listed below:
            Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 7.4 (Maipo)
Linux ykt1eiquat37.globeop.com 3.10.0-693.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP Thu Jul 6 19:56:57 EDT 2017 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
Are the following section from the following Internet Link applicable to Red Hat version 7.4?
https://help.sap.com/doc/download_multimedia_zip-iq1610_sap_iq_installation_and_configuration_linux_pdf/16.0.10/en-US/SAP_IQ_Installation_and_Configuration_Linux.pdf
The PDF file was written based on the certified O/S platforms Linux 6.2 (and later) X86.
Since it mentioned "and later", I am assuming that they are applied to Red Hat 7.4 too; but I want to ensure that I will not tell them the wrong information.  So please advise.  Thank you.
"
2.2.7 Set the Kernel Parameters
Set the number of available semaphore identifiers to at least 4096.Context
To display the current values of the semaphore kernel parameters, use:
cat /proc/sys/kernel/sem
250 32000 32 4096
The four values displayed are:
SEMMSL - maximum number of semaphores per set.
SEMMNS - maximum number of semaphores system-wide.
SEMOPM - maximum number of operations allowed for one semop call.
SEMMNI - maximum number of semaphore identifiers (sets).
To adjust these values, and save them for future server restarts, edit the /etc/sysctl.conf file. For example, to increase the maximum number of semaphore identifiers to 4096, add the following line:
kernel.sem = 250 32000 32 4096Make sure you leave one space before and after equals sign.
To make a change that lasts only until the next restart, use:
echo 250 32000 32 4096 > /proc/sys/kernel/sem
"
BTW,  is the whole section listed under "2 Preparing for Installation" applicable to Red Hat 7.4 too?
Thanks and regards,
Steve Shen
This email with all information contained herein or attached hereto may contain confidential and/or privileged information intended for the addressee(s) only. If you have received this email in error, please contact the sender and immediately delete this email in its entirety and any attachments thereto.