[IQUG] resize columns of a very big table

Ron Watkins rwatkins at dssolutions.com
Mon Aug 6 06:15:10 MST 2018

You should check the size of the column FP and any advanced indexes on that column to see if a “copy” of that column can be made.

It’s possible to do what you want by simply adding a “new” column to the end of the table and running one or more update statements to copy the data from the old column to the new column.

You would then drop the old column.

I would suggest dropping any advanced indexes which exist on that old column first to give you extra space if needed.