[IQUG] Sybase 16 - FP_NBIT_Autosize_Limit

Henderson, William L william.l.henderson at jpmorgan.com
Wed Mar 11 07:19:40 MST 2015

Hey Guys,

I notice the default max nBIT is 20 bits, before you flip to flat FP. On IQ 15 we were pretty happy with 3 Byte FPs, so I am thinking we will change FP_NBIT_Autosize_Limit to 33554431, to allow 24 byte, but flip to flat above that. Does that make sense? Does anyone know the pros/cons?

The table I am particularly interested in has about 30 billion rows (and growing), and there are some columns which will be about 22/23 bit if I do this. These columns are used as id's and occasionally will be used as SARGS or joins, but never in group bys. We have 1.5 TB of RAM.

Thanks,
Will

Will Henderson | Prada AD | J.P. Morgan | 15F, 25 Bank Street, Canary Wharf, London, E14 5JP | T: +44 (0)207 134 3864 | william.l.henderson at jpmorgan.com<mailto:william.l.henderson at jpmorgan.com> | jpmorgan.com<http://www.jpmorgan.com/>

This email is confidential and subject to important disclaimers and conditions including on offers for the purchase or sale of securities, accuracy and completeness of information, viruses, confidentiality, legal privilege, and legal entity disclaimers, available at http://www.jpmorgan.com/pages/disclosures/email<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.jpmorgan.com_pages_disclosures_email&d=AAMGaQ&c=jxhwBfk-KSV6FFIot0PGng&r=jNBBJwWtbLq2Aebw3suv_w&m=PtCKC_sNRV_Hd2q5Uz_w-1dZEvnQbVqthNP-Rd1ufb4&s=mF5HM_oAK0krdJWUP1gDR9E4zOzJBjzruIIdGxfR0jk&e=>.